Internet is by far the most fascinating innovation of humankind. It offers an endless supply of knowledge, entertainment and interaction opportunities. Initially, buying an internet connection was not such a big deal because only a handful of providers were offering these services. However, nowadays, as there are thousands of providers in the market, buying an internet service has become a problem for the masses.
Making a wrong decision can actually lead to frustration and get you into trouble, as you won’t be able to run your online errands in a timely manner. So, before deciding or subscribing to any of the internet services, conduct thorough research regarding the providers available in your area. Instead of making abrupt choices, try to comprehend the types of internet services offered in the market. To help you make the right decision, we have compiled a list of internet connections that you shall come across when looking to buy one for your home.
This terminology “broadband”, basically refers to all types of internet services and covers dial-up internet connections as well. High-speed networks like 3G, 4G and now 5G internet have magnificently interchanged dial-up connections. However, this interchange did not happen overnight; about two decades ago, we all had dial-up connections, didn’t we? Now there are several other services available, for instance, cable, satellite, DSL, Fiber Internet Optic, etc. People hardly use dial-up connections these days.
Mbps which is a short form of megabits per second. This is the fundamental method to scrutinize the speed of internet. As per the results and evaluation, it has been perceived that for regular internet browsing, we need 2 Mbps speed. Video streaming, on the other hand, requires relatively more speed. Approximately, 5.0 Mbps speed of the internet is obligatory if you like to watch HD videos. Therefore, the majority of people prefer 5Mbps speed for their personal usage.
DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. It may sound like an extended version of dial-up because with DSL you get internet with an already existing telephone connection. There is a wide range of connections offered by DSL; depending on the various sets of users and their internet usage. DSL is available in quite a few speeds ranging up to 25Mbps. However, the most recent service providers are offering the internet speed of up to 100 Mbps. Nevertheless, the chief shortcoming in this connection is that goes slow. The stability and strength of the signals depend on how far your device is from the service provider.
Cable internet is offered via the cable services provided to your place. This type of internet connection delivers high internet speed, stretching from and above 100 Mbps, which is better than DSL. Furthermore, this service is shared with your neighbors at one fell swoop, which at times affects its speed, making it slower than the actual speed. Especially, for the period of peak hours when everybody is using the internet, the speed turns out to be lower than a typical DSL connection.
Satellite internet is an internet service, which is comparatively slower than the other popular services like DSL or cable connection. Though, in rural areas, satellite connections are considered to be the best available options. Internet Service Providers of this area link them through satellite to deliver the internet.
Fiber-Optic internet popularly known as fiOI, delivers the fastest internet speed, offering a range of speeds up to 500Mbps. However, this kind of internet connection is limited and is not available in all the areas, but the best part is that it costs almost the same as any DSL connection.
Here is a list of things you should consider while finding the best internet service provider:
- Contract details: You need to know everything, literally everything because there are some facts concealed which we do not realize while signing the deal. Starting from scratch, what is the upfront you are supposed to pay in the beginning, how much you would be paying every month, installments, what products are on rent, and what would you own after completing the installments. At times Wi-Fi devices, routers, and other products are yours to keep once you have paid the installments. And the most crucial knowledge, for your own good, is how much they would charge if you plan to cancel the subscription and other questions.
- Customer Service: Customer support is essential for the installation and order booking, just inquiring and getting information about their products and services, pricing confirmation, IT related issues, concerns, and other service related issues. You will be dealing with the customer services department throughout your journey with that particular internet service provider. Your journey with customer support begins from the day you place your order.
- Reviews: While researching, make sure you go through all the positive and negative reviews about internet services by online customers. Ask your friends and neighbors about the experience they have had with their providers. Take their recommendations and keep that in mind while signing up. You might find multiple negative reviews, but don’t forget to check the source because sometimes these reviews are not authentic. Moreover, search for other reviewing apps such as Quora discussion forums, Yelp, and Facebook groups while forming your opinion. Word of mouth plays a significant role here. So, if your neighbors recommend a service provider, take their advice. You need to consider the fact that most of the reviews are written by unhappy customers and satisfied people usually do not have time to write their experiences. Yes, that is a proven fact, a satisfied customer usually does not go and write a few words on how happy their experience been. However, chances are anyone who is undergoing or underwent hiccups in their experience will take out their frustrations online.
- Prices: This idea may sound time-consuming at first, but it will help you save money and avoid the possibility of a bad experience. The easy trick here would be to call each and every available provider in your area and write down their prices with the offered speed for comparison. This will make the picture crystal clear for you. Also, observe how proactive their customer service is. During my research, I found very affordable internet services at surprisingly fast speeds for home. Compared the prices with the amount of bandwidth they are offerings. This will help you evaluate the providers in detail.
- Reliability: Now that you have everything researched, investigated and you figured which connection you would go for. Make sure the internet speed and availability is good enough because none of the above factors mean anything if you do not have an internet connection when you need one the most. Observing online reviews is one part, the second part would be if you check your internet connection’s speed and compare the offered speed with the one you actually have. This would enable you to gain confidence in your deal.
The bottom-line is
The best and most feasible idea before considering any popular internet provider is to ask your neighbor. They are the right people who can guide you about the pricing, quality of service vs what is advertised, and value for money. You know how much internet you or your family may need, so decide accordingly. Go for the one that offers trustworthy customer service. Why? Because any internet connection can cause hiccups in your work but good customer care will make sure your issue is resolved as soon as possible. Also, don’t go for the cheap options because quality services charge more for their quality. Bundling up your services is a great idea to minimize your household expenses. Usually, bundling up your services with another service, saves you money, comes at promotional prices and/or the installation charges are reduced or free.